The second formal meeting of the society was held in Val-David (QC), Canada, from September 14th to 18th 2010. The focus of the 14th ISHEN Symposium was basic and clinical research in hepatic encephalopathy and translation of novel findings from basic research to the clinic. The scientific programme featured in-depth examination of the most essential topics and provided an opportunity for debate on key issues from principal experts in the field.
The programme of the Symposium included eight sessions, two roundtables and one workshop:
- Brain edema in liver failure
- Neurochemistry of HE
- Pathogenesis of HE: inflammation
- Neuropathology of HE
- Management and treatment of HE I and II
- Young Investigator Colloquia I and II: Basic and Clinical research
- Round Table I – Ammonia and HE: facts and fantasies
- Round Table II – Nutrition in the management of HE
- Workshop – Designing clinical trials in HE
An important feature was the discussion of practice guidelines concerning Nutrition in hepatic encephalopathy and Clinical trial design in hepatic encephalopathy. The proceedings from these sessions are in publication respectively in Liver International and in Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. A selection of the invited lectures will also be available in a special issue of Neurochemistry International.